Fisher Women of Iceland: Gender, Quotas, Crashes,
Seattle Events are open to the general public. You do not have to be a member to attend.Upcoming Events – Save the Dates!
Join us for a fascinating presentation on the culture of the Fisher Women of Iceland. Our speaker Dr. Margaret Willson shares with us her current research on issues relating to fisheries, gender and small-scale communities and her project entitled: Fisher women of Iceland: Gender, Quotas, Crashes, and the International Fisheries “Crisis.
She has worked extensively in international development, designing models and working in partnership with local people to create effective international programs in a variety of countries.
Specific ethnographic research includes work with Icelandic fisher women, a critique of practices and policy related to resilience in coastal communities, and a comparative analysis of the roles and concerns of rural and coastal communities of the North, particularly in Canada and Iceland. She is currently completing a book on the sea women of Iceland to be published by University of Washington Press in 2015.
LOCATION: Best Western Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Ave. North
Reservations required by Tuesday, November 11th. Contact Pauline Barrett email@example.com
Or pay by PayPal below:
Free in hotel garage. Members who park in the garage or BW lot can sign the book at the front desk and give their name and license plate number.
Also 2-hour curbside pay stations on Taylor; 10-hour on 6th Ave N and on Thomas; nearby lots $5-10/day. Bus: #8 on Denny.
Upcoming Programs – Save the Dates!
2014-2015 Seattle Branch Programs
- November 15, 2014 - “Fisher women of Iceland: Gender, Quotas, Crashes, and the International Fisheries ‘Crisis’” with Margret Willson, AAUW Award recipient at UW
- December 20, 2014- Holiday Program at The Seattle Yacht Club
- January 17, 2015 – “The Health of Seattle…What’s Coming in 2015″ with Hyeok Kim Deputy Mayor, City of Seattle
- February 21, 2015 – “Slavery in Washington” with Eva Abram, Storyteller.
- March 21, 2015 – TBD
- April 2015 – Scholar Recognition
- May 16, 2015 – Annual Meeting
Past Programs Seattle Branch 2010-2015
- October 14, 2014 – Megan McCloskey of Lotus Circle will speak about women’s rights in Viet Nam
- September 20, 2014 – “GambiaHelp” with Shelby Tarutis
- July 12, 2014 – Annual Garden Party at Chase Gardens in Orting with Highline Branch to benefit the Mary Lou Hughes R & P Grant
- May 17, 2014 – “Garden Color…It’s Not Just About the Flowers” with Victoria Gilleland, Garden Designer at Cottage Garden Designs & Annual Meeting
- April 9, 2014 – Scholar Recognition Reception, speaker Deborah Jensen, CEO Woodland Park Zoo
- March 15, 2014 – Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) at Seattle University
- February 15, 2014 – David Ward of Legal Voice to speak about PayEquity
- January 18, 2014 – Nicole Brodeur, Seattle Times Columnist, “Who is Practicing the AAUW Mission in Our Community?”
- December 21, 2013 – Holiday Get-together with “Sensible Shoes” and MLH R&P Grant fundraiser
- November 16, 2013 – Tech Trek
- October 19, 2013 – Update from UW Women’s Center and Johnna White on ” A First Hand Look at the Women of Tunisia” & update on UW Women’s Center Program’s at University of Washington
- September 21, 2013 – Colleen Carrigan, AAUW Recipient of the Eleanor Hadley R&P Grant and MLH R&P Grant fundraiser
- July 13, 2013 – Highline & Seattle AAUW Summer Garden Tour at Soos Creek Botanical Garden and Hertitage Center
- May 18, 2013 – Annual Meeting & Women Finding their Voices: How the United Nations Facilitates Gender Equality and Empowerment for Women with Kathy Adler
- April 10, 2013 – Scholar’s Recognition with Karen Troianello
- March 16, 2013 – Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) volunteering at Seattle University
- February 16, 2013 – A Visit to the new MOHAI at South Lake Union
- January 28, 2013 AAUW-WA Lobby Day
- January 19, 2013 – “A Community Where All Women Have the Opportunity to Live, Lead and Thrive” with Liz Vivian from Women’s Funding Alliance
- December 15, 2012 – Sweet Adelines Pacific Sound Chorus, Appletini’s Quarter at the Seattle Yacht Club
- November 17, 2012 – “Elles” Docent Lecture & Exhibit Tour at the Seattle Art Museum
- October 24, 2012 – Networking Reception
- October 13, 2012 - Welcoming AAUW-Seattle to the Women’s Center at the University of Washington Women’s Center
- September 22, 2012 – Key November Election Issues – A Forum
- July 2012 – Garden Party at Lakewold Gardens
- May 2012 - Ethnic Minority Girls and the Science Lunchroom with Jessica Thompson, PhD
- April 2012 – Seattle Branch Scholars Recognition with Dr. Lovejoy Conquest
- March 2012 – EYH (Expaning Your Horizons) volunteering
- February 2012 – Speak Out! Addressing Sexual Harrassment in the School and on the Street with Holly Kearl
- January 2012 – A Front Row Seat to Advocating with Tracy Sherman
- December 2011 – Holiday Brunch with Performance by Senisble Shoes
- November 2011- The Male Essence: How Natural Ability is Perceived in Different fields of Study by Sarah Grover
- October 2011- Legislative Session 2012: A Preview with AAUW-WA Lobbyist Pam Crone
- September 2011 – Winning the West for Women: The Life of Suffragist Emma Smith DeVoe with Dr. Jennifer Ross-Nazzal
- July 2011 – Tour of Chinese Garden at South Seattle Community College benefiting AAUW Funds
- May 2011 – Aviation High School, the Big Vision, with Reba Gilman
- April 2011 – Evening Dessert Reception for Scholars Recognition Honorees and their parents with speaker Heather Dohan
- March 2011–Joint Meeting with Highline Branch at the Burien Community Center with Maha Jahshan, MA, speaker from OneAmerica, on immigration issues for families, women and girls
- March 2011–volunteered at the Expanding Your Horizons conference for middle school girls at Seattle University
- February 2011 – Reel Grrls with Malory Graham
- January 2011 – Theresa Diekhans’ One-Woman Show on Mother Jones
- December 2010 – Holiday brunch at the home of Susan Moen in Kenmore – with silent auction benefiting our Scholars Recognition Program, entertainment by Cornish students soprano Jamie Foster and piano major Rebekah Wagner, and collection of items for Mary’s Place Women’s Shelter.
- November 2010 – GambiaHELP Project 2010 with Shelby Tarutis
- October 2010 – Debunking Stereotypes: Explaining Women’s Under representation in Computer Science with Sapna Cheryan, Ph.D.
- September 2010 – Women’s Votes, Women’s Voices at MOHAI Women’s Suffrage exhibit with Shanna Stevenson
for more than ten years, and then stepped away from full-time clients.